Thursday, June 6, 2013

"Kiss Me, Kate" Cast Spotlight: John Hall

The magnificent John Hall has returned to the ACT stage once again, but this time we are letting him keep both his hands! He was last seen on our stage as the infamous Captain Hook, and he greets us again as Fred Graham/Petruchio. His daily life is filled with artistic study, from teaching 6th grade at the ArtSpace Charter School to attending Kiss Me, Kate rehearsals in the evening. We are so thankful he granted us this interview and hope that his dedication to the arts can inspire many Asheville Community Theatre goers.
John Hall as the deliciously dastardly Captain Hook!

Describe a typical day for John Hall:
I teach sixth grade language arts and social studies at the best school in the world – ArtSpace Charter School.  We integrate the arts into all our standard courses of study.  I integrate drama into many different aspects of the sixth grade curriculum.  So, I teach during the day, then head off to various activities, usually involving my wonderful daughter, Anna Kate.

What has been your favorite moment from rehearsals?
My favorite moment is the 'courting' scene between Petruchio and Katharine. I’ve been reunited with a dear friend of mine, Wendy Morrison, who is playing my ex-wife Lilli (and also Katharine).  Wendy and I have known each other over 20 years, and have performed together many times.  It’s been great to work with her again.  She’s so talented!

Which number are you most excited about performing?
That’s a tough one.  I really enjoy all of them.  I suppose the one I’m having most fun with right now is “The Life that Late I Led.”  It’s great fun trying to bring all those different love affairs to life.

What do you think is the #1 reason someone should see Kiss Me, Kate?
Fred Graham would say the number one reason to see the show would be – Fred Graham!  I think the audiences will be blown away by the terrific dance numbers.

If you could share the stage with any actor, who would it be?
Hands down, it would be Derek Jacobi.  I’ve seen him in several shows in England and America, from the 1980s to just a few years ago.  He is the best stage actor I’ve ever seen.  Amazing!

John with his beautiful daughter Anna Kate (who is working
backstage keeping Kiss Me, Kate running smoothly!)
Do you have a favorite Shakespearean quote?
“The course of true love never did run smooth”  It’s from A Midsummer Night’s Dream and it seems to fit our show perfectly. Is it my absolute favorite? Impossible to choose!

Anything else that you’d like people to know about you?
I am an active member of Trinity Episcopal Church in downtown Asheville and enjoy working with the youth of the parish.

Kiss Me, Kate opens June 7th and runs until June 30th! Don't miss out on the chance to see the talented John Hall grace our stage once again! Get your tickets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment