Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"American Masters" on PBS Highlights Harper Lee

Watch Harper Lee: Hey, Boo on PBS. See more from American Masters.

Did anyone get a chance to catch the full program? I haven't yet, but plan on it in the next few days. (Here's a link to the PBS website where you can find the full documentary.)

This year is the 50th anniversary of the film To Kill A Mockingbird (the book was published in 1960).  Do you remember the first time you saw the movie or read the book?  Why don't you share it? Enter your memories in the comments below and we'll randomly draw a name on April 17 for two free tickets to the show.

2 comments:

  1. I first read the book in 9th grade and fell in love with the story, making it my favorite book that year. After reenacting the courtroom scene in Ms. Winterrowd's class, my views on social justice and equality have been enlightened. These themes explored in the book become relevant today in my life thanks to this brilliant piece of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read the book and then seen the movie, I had a "double" reaction to the topic of both and was something I felt very deeply and emotionally. Being of the Jewish faith, I had been exposed to the nastiness of prejudice at an early age, both in print and rhetoric, and was determined that I would fight it, when used against anyone, as hard as I could. Bringing the play back is more than timely, and all should be encouraged to see it and then spread its message.

    ReplyDelete