Friday, May 17, 2013

"Kiss Me, Kate" Cast Spotlight: Dwight Chiles

Kiss Me, Kate has a huge cast (28!) consisting of newcomers and veterans to the ACT stage. We wanted to get to know everyone a little better, so we're planning to feature each of them in our "Cast Spotlight" feature here on the blog!

Here's looking at you, Dwight!
We're starting with Dwight Chiles, who has appeared on stages across town in productions for the Montford Park Players (recently as Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Earnest) and Different Strokes! Performing Arts Collective (in this spring's Vesta). After Kiss Me, Kate, he'll be journeying up the road to Burnsville to appear in Parkway Playhouse's The Mystery of Edwin Drood. We are beyond thrilled that Kiss Me, Kate came at just the right time for this busy actor!

How did Kiss Me, Kate hook you? 
I used to do musicals all the time but I had not done one in about a year so I was kind of going through withdrawals.  That is why I auditioned.  Most people I have worked with on stage have not heard me sing, so I am excited for them all to hear me.

You've done so much theatre around town and know a lot of people.  Have you met new friends in this cast? I have met a ton of new people!  The last show I did with ACT was three years ago so everyone I met was new for the most part.

"Were Thine That Special Face": Dwight as Lady
Bracknell in The Importance of Being Earnest 
You're a huge Shakespeare fan - do you have a favorite quote? "To thine own self be true" - Hamlet.  And if given the choice to work with any actor, I would choose Patrick Stewart in King Lear at the Globe Theatre just so I could learn from one of the best.

What has been your favorite moment from rehearsals? Probably when I asked the director if I could pretend to be looking at a dirty magazine during "Too Darn Hot" and she said that is exactly what I am doing!  It was awesome.  

Which number in the show are you most excited about performing? "Were Thine That Special Face" - I love the song and I get to sing it with my good friend Adam, who is a great singer.

What's the #1 reason to see Kiss Me, Kate? It is HILARIOUS!!!  Also the cast is incredibly talented...if I do say so myself. I have really enjoyed working with this cast and crew and it is going to be a wonderful show!  Come see for yourself!

Kiss Me, Kate opens June 7 - don't miss Dwight as Riley/Hortensio! Get your tickets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment